The weather has taken a turn and winter is undisputedly upon us. With it brings crisp mornings and the sparkle of frost that makes your car, streets and local park look like they’ve had a dusting of glitter.
It also symbolises the approach of Christmas festivities, family gatherings and hopefully taking the opportunity to put your feet up for a few days between Christmas and the New Year.
Whilst this all sounds picturesque, it can easily be tainted if your central heating system isn’t working properly. The cold weather is most certainly less appealing if the temperature inside your home matches that of your garden.
If your radiators are cool at the top it’s more than likely because central heating systems have a nasty habit of collecting air, making them much less efficient and your home colder as a result.
What causes air in central heating radiators?
There are a number of reasons that cause air to build up in your radiators.
- Installing the pump above the supply tank.
- An open tank in the loft used for immersion heaters.
- A build-up of hydrogen in the system, caused by a rusty pipe or a build-up of sludge.
- Small leaks can let air in, usually the case if you find yourself re-pressuring the boiler regularly.
How to fix it.
The first step is to bleed your radiators. This is a fairly simple process, although it has the potential to be a bit messy – so keep a towel to hand!
- Turn off your heating.
- Use a radiator valve key on the valve at the end of the radiator at the top.
- Turn the key slightly to open the valve enough for the air to escape.
- Tighten the valve again once the air has escaped.
- Re-pressurise your boiler and turn it back on.
- You may need to repeat the process if you find more air pockets.
However, you find yourself constantly bleeding the radiators in your house and re-pressurising your boiler, then it might be a sign of a bigger problem. This is where we come in.
As plumbers in Northampton, not only do we know all there is to know about gas boiler repairs and central heating installation, but we also understand how important it is to have a central heating system that works, and works well. Winter should be enjoyed just as much as every other season, and we understand just how impossible it would be to defrosting the Christmas turkey if you have icicles forming on the inside of your windows.
So, enjoy the shimmer that frosty mornings bring from the comfort of your toasty home and settle down in the evenings without the need for several blankets, safe in the knowledge that you have an efficient central heating system.
As always, if you have any questions about your radiators or boiler, please don’t hesitate to get in touch, call us on 01536 725729